Minutes of the West Norwalk Board of Directors Meeting
June 7, 2010
Directors in attendance: Joel Zaremby, Ron Brown, Margaret Karl, Bob Wagman, Candide Valadares, Chris Potts, Martin O’Connell, Linda Forcellina
Visitors: Gay MacLeod, Larry Cafero, Nicole Davis
President Joel Zaremby suspended order of business to allow two guest speakers to present their reports.
Larry Cafero reviewed the request of Dolce to gain support from West Norwalk Association for their hotel license. He shared a letter from the CT Department of Consumer Protection which answered the fear that people off the street would be able to use the Dolce facility if this license were approved. The Director of Liquor Control stated that persons not registered at the hotel or attending a scheduled event could not be allowed to use the facilities.
Mr. Cafero said Dolce would probably apply for this license soon and a public hearing would be scheduled this summer. Mr. Cafero also offered to share any of our concerns or questions with Attorney Frank Zullo. Discussion followed and the Board decided not to take a position at this time.
Nicole Davis from the South Western Regional Planning Agency reported that grant funds will allow regional planning for water quality issues for this region. Rather than having so many organizations involved, this new group will tackle the problems of all eleven watersheds simultaneously. She believes that consistent recommendations might have a better chance of implementation. A kick off meeting for anyone interested will take place in early July. Then workshops will be held locally in the fall and February or March. She will inform the Board when the dates are set.
The minutes from the May meeting were approved as corrected.
The treasurer’s report of a balance of $5, 934.04 was approved.
The By-Laws committee had to postpone its meeting but will have a report next month.
There was a long discussion of the recommendations of this committee. The Board approved these:
- Check West Norwalk signs and see about cost of replacement. Joel will ask Ron Palladino to help with this task.
- In the fall, plan a community tag sale, hopefully with Fox Run PTO.
- Attempt to work with Brien McMahon Key Club and Honor Society to find volunteer associate Board member for next year and to coordinate a community volunteer effort. Jim and Linda Forcellina will contact the appropriate people at the school this month.
- At the annual meeting have a list of streets and try to find ambassadors to represent the association for communication purposes. Also, Joel will try to find new Board members to represent more areas of West Norwalk.
- Gay will contact someone she knows at Habitat for Humanity or Americares regarding finding someone in our area who needs help at home.
The annual meeting was set for Dolce on Sunday, September 26 from 3-6 PM. Gay will negotiate with Dolce regarding price. Joel will offer Larry Cafero and Anna Duleep, Bob Duff and his opponent, and Jim Himes and his opponent two minutes to speak. Local politicians will be invited but will not speak.
Margaret Karl brought in a copy of The True Life Story of a Country Boy, the remembrances of early days in West Norwalk, and Gay will investigate ways to have it copied once it is determined we would have the legal right to do so.
Joel asked everyone to look at the website before the next meeting to see changes and evaluate. He also asked everyone to come to the next meeting with a new idea for membership or to be prepared to support in more detail one of the suggestions presented tonight.
The next Board meeting will be held at the Meeting House on July 12. Meetings at Fox Run will resume in September.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM.