Minutes West Norwalk Association Board of Directors Meeting
July 2, 2007
Directors in Attendance: Peggy Yff, Ron Paladino, Joel Zaremby, Jim Hirshfield, William Van Deventer, Linda Forcellina for Jim Forcellina
Visitors: Charles Wilhelm, Bob Wagman, Gay MacLeod
Meeting was called to order at 7:40 PM
The minutes were approved. Note: Peggy will e-mail Hal Alvord to ask him to be at the September annual meeting to answer concerns about traffic in West Norwalk.
The Treasurer’s Report was accepted.
1. Peggy thanked the Board members and especially Gay MacLeod for helping with the plantings.
2. She announced that the city did one watering, but the plants are in dire need of water. The issue of watering was discussed at length with the conclusion that hoses from neighbors’ yards would be the best solution. Peggy will knock on doors of neighbors to try to find volunteers to let us hook to water in their yards. She will also check with the Fire Department and Hal Alvord to ask for advice/help with this continuing problem.
3. Peggy will set up a meeting with the owner of Quattro Pazzi to present the statement for mailing expenses and to discuss the many complaints/concerns about the spring meeting held there.
4. There was still no answer from Max regarding the $75 paid for website development. She e-mailed him to contact Skip Wilhelm.
a. Peggy thanked Skip Wilhelm for all the work he has done in developing the WNA website.
b. Skip reported on the website. For communication purposes, he said should Board members should have a separate e-mail address so that all mail goes through the association. He will give everyone a new address.
c. Skip distributed a draft of the front page of the website and discussed input he would need to develop it. There was a discussion of possible inclusions such as advertizing, a small business directory, Forum/Bulletin Board, Chat Room, Restaurants with menus, a tag sale, a sign up to receive information and pay dues online.
d. The Board approved the design of the site with an ovation. The website will be operational soon.
6. The Board suggested an article in the newspapers with a plea for help and contributions to the Association. Photos could accompany the article to show the plantings.
7. The Donation letter already planned and approved to be sent out with the Newsletter will be rewritten by Jim and Linda Forcellina to emphasize the costs to run the Association as well as its accomplishments. Because of the mailing expense, the Board agreed that the Newsletter will be sent to arrive just after Labor Day.
Peggy will send Board members a draft of the newsletter and donation letter during the last 2 weeks of July.
8. Peggy distributed her expense statement from November 20 to June 10. The total is $3410, a considerable difference from the $2865.02 in the treasury at this point. She will be reimbursed as soon as possible.
9. The annual meeting was set for Sunday, September 23 at 3:00 if possible at NCC. There will be simple refreshments served. Bob Wagman said that Dunkin Donuts might contribute coffee. Skip said that Costco will donate up to $250 if we give sufficient notice.
10. The Board tabled the vote on a change in the number of Board members until the August meeting so the bylaws can be checked beforehand.
With Board approval, Peggy invited Bob Wagman and Skip Wilhelm to become Board members. Both accepted graciously.
Peggy received a call from the Aikenheads to attend the Meeting House Board meeting. She will serve on this Board as the representative of WNA. She said the application for the $10,000 grant for the Meeting House has been completed.
Peggy and Skip will work on a Media Kit to approach local business to advertise in the Newsletter and/or contribute to the Association in some way.
The next Board meeting is August 6.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:55 PM.